Skip to main content
If you can’t find a book at the NIC library, NIC students and faculty can borrow items from other BC Libraries using the Interlibrary Loan service.
Students may receive 10 interlibrary loans per course, per semester.
Interlibrary Loans are checked out for three weeks and are not eligible for renewal.
The late fee for Interlibrary Loan books is $1.00 per day. Students with more than $5 in library fines will be unable to place Interlibrary Loan requests.
Reference books and required textbooks are not available through interlibrary loan.
If you'd like to borrow library materials from another NIC campus, click on "Place Hold" underneath the item title in the NIC Library Catalogue.
How to Place An Interlibrary Loan Request
1. Find What you Need
Choose the type of material that would be best for you.
- Magazine or Journal Article: If you wish to request a magazine or journal article, you can place your request online by using the "Where Can I Get This?" link, in the article database. For a list of available databases, visit A-Z Databases.
- Books: To place an interlibrary loan request for books from other BC Libraries click one of the following links
- For Comox Valley click here
- For Campbell River click here
- For Port Alberni click here
- For Mount Waddington click here
2. Search for Your Item
- These links will bring you to BC Outlook Online, which searches academic and public libraries across BC. You can search for books in the search bar at the top of the screen.
- Once you've found a book you'd like to request you can click on the "Request this Item" button, which brings up the ILL Request form.
- Fill out the form, ensuring that the correct pickup location displays and click submit. If the incorrect location is selected, it will take 2-3 extra days to transfer the item to the correct library.
- Requests for Interlibrary Loans are normally filled within 10 working days. As soon as your book arrives you will be notified using your NIC or ECU e-mail address. Books can be picked up and returned at the circulation desk.
Ask Away & Contact Info
Chat with a Librarian!
Or contact us by email or phone:
Library Contact Info and Hours